Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Xian City Wall




The ancient city of Xian was walled and the wall still stands. Completed in 198 BC it's one of the oldest surviving city walls in the world. It's almost 10 miles around with large gates at each point of the compass. The moat is still exposed in many places and is lined now with walkways, trees and parks. I had a chance to wander through the streets of the old city by myself. I really enjoy getting off the beaten path and the small side-streets and alley ways I found were unbelievable. I was the only non-Chinese person I could see as I strolled down the narrow byways with noodle shops, butcheries, fruit stands and laundries. People were selling birds in cages, live chickens, all kinds of food being cooked outdoors on the streets and clothing. Bicycles and scooters are the non-foot methods of transportation as the lanes are too narrow for cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment